Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless connection

Pwnerator
    HlStats

HLStatsX Ranking for STEAM_0:1:14506436

Hmm yea bro, the wireless router you have isnt like the best, ,but is should be ok.
    i thought it would be some old like 1980's thing lol
    I would look into getting a wireless card for your pc.

the problem with the usb adapters, is (as you have probably noticed) that they get hot, and just like pc's if it gets hot it works harder than it has to and lessens your performance.
    but yea. i have the router u picked in the middle. and it was easy to set up and works great. though., my apartment is kinda small and am like kk only 6 feet away from it lol

N/U Special Forces
    HlStats

HLStatsX Ranking for STEAM_0:1:17034428

enh...really don't want to have to get a wireless card if i don't have to. just got the usb adapter not too long ago (apparent by the fact that it's a n, not a g adapter), so changing it out is going to piss me off. :/ what needs be done, needs be done. *sigh* @ self for making more work and money go into this then originally estimated.

<------FailSauce
    [url=http://www.finalbattleground.com/profile/vince21/][img]http://sig.finalbattleground.com/p/10809.jpg[/img][/url]

[color=green][size=3]Office[/color][/size]
    [url=http://www.n00bunlimited.net/hlstats/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=625][img]http://www.n00bunlimited.net/hlstats/sig-625-random.png[/img][/url]

N|U g0d Kung Fu Master
    HlStats

HLStatsX Ranking for STEAM_0:1:12522252

I have heard that the USB NIC's are just as fast and reliable as the internals. I've never used one tho, so i couldn't tell you. Is your USB adapter 2.4ghz or 5ghz? That will also make a difference if you want a router with 5ghz.

Draft N routers use 2.4ghz channels and 5ghz channels. 2.4ghz is the older standard, and 5ghz band router will still support 2.4ghz networks (enabled thru the router admin options). 5ghz bands are needed for streaming large files over your network; 2.4ghz will work fine for gaming. Also, you should watch out for supposed "dual band" routers; that is, a router that is capable of using either 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Simultaneous dual band router are capable of running 2 networks at the same time (at various bandwidths if the router supports it). Running a higher frequency (i.e. 5ghz) does not mean that your signal will go farther. Actually, it might hamper the distance that you can push your signal, especially if you have multiple walls to pass thru or a lot of electronic interference in your path.

For my network i currently use an Apple Airport Extreme. Simultaneous dual band 5ghz channels, one for my internet/computer gaming and the other for my media server.

N/U Commando
    HlStats

HLStatsX Ranking for STEAM_0:0:15012290

Here are few pictures of my setup ! This is the computer room with my installed cradlepoint wireless card, 50 bucks from best buy. up to 300mbps speed.

Also can anyone spot the funny ????

the cradlepoint router out in the garage and that bed leaning up against the wall is BadFish and Pasties when they come to slumber ! LOLS !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carry your last name, Don't let it carry you !

N/U Commando
    HlStats

And the antenna outside on the roof for better service. I know it looks gay but im trying everything out before i make it permanent. SUCKS when DSL is just not a option where i live.
    Attached Images Attached Images

N|U g0d Kung Fu Master
    HlStats

Lol nice set up Pen. Still no hard line out to the house?

What did you do, rig the net card to push an IP thru your router? ^_^

N/U Commando
    HlStats

Nope no hard line out to my house or anyone's house really.
    I didn't want to pay 125.00 per month for satellite internet "rip off" so i went and bought me a Verizon USB modem and external antenna. I plug it into my router out in the garage because i have to get that antenna up on the peak of my roof for the best signal. Then i pipe the wifi from the router inside to my PC. I keep doing the Speed test on the home page here, not too shabby i guess 1300down 650up. But its never the same results twice. my ping in vent is 168, this whole setup is just my hobby for now i guess.

N|U g0d Kung Fu Master
    HlStats

Nice. I set my friend up with a similar network. Used a altell wireless card and set it up to push a single IP to his router, which distributed it the network (DCHP). He lives out in bum fuck egypt and is getting 2mbs down, 756 up.

Best part: Alltel was bought by verizon, but his original contract was grand-fathered in, so he doesn't have that shitty 5gb cap they impose for his card. Last month he topped 35GB down thru the network. ^_^

N/U Commando
    HlStats

Does he run a external antenna ? i see many for sale and in-line boosters also. I'm hoping to get this setup very similar to your buddy's

i have verizon UM175 modem and a magnetic wilson antenna.

N|U g0d Kung Fu Master
    HlStats

Not that i know of. I think there is a tower right by him, so he hits a pretty good signal without one.

GL in getting everything set up. Hopefully you find a decent net card w/no limits on it!

Thread Information